YES is a company made by two english ladies who wanted to make pure and organic intimate products specially Lubricants.
I do sell it on my shop since many years as I love that brand. I am reposting something they wrote that I found very informative. It help deciphering all those ingredients we see on labels and often do not understand. There it’s applied to Mucous membranes in particular as it’s not the same as normal skin.
“Mucous membranes are the moist layer of semi-permeable tissue lining the mouth, nose, eyes, vagina, tip of the penis and gastro-intestinal tract. Because they do not have the protective layer (Stratum corneum) found on the surface of the outer skin, mucous membranes can be damaged, irritated and penetrated by synthetic chemicals much more easily. Most old style lubricants are primarily made of synthetic chemicals, some with known or suspected safety issues, such as skin irritants, penetration enhancers or oestrogen mimicking properties. A few lubricant manufacturers do not even declare their ingredients; have a look next time you are shopping.
The ingredients used in all YES products are selected with the needs of the mucous membranes in mind. The criteria that ingredients have to meet to be used in a YES product include:
|1.||Certified and guaranteed purity and quality – organically produced wherever possible, as this ensures product integrity and no hidden chemicals carried over from the production processes, such as the recent FDA alert for Diethylene glycol (anti-freeze) in glycerin (1). All our ingredients occur in nature, contain no genetically modified ingredients and are not tested on animals.|
|2.||A solid pedigree of safety and performance – for example, flax has been cultivated by man for over 6000 years and the ancient Greeks and Romans used it to heal, moisturise and nourish skin (2).|
|3.||No known skin or mucosal irritants:|
|4.||No natural or synthetic products that have health issues or concerns:|
|5.||Only plant based ingredients unless there is no effective or safe natural option|
|6.||Preservation and product cleanliness are critical. We tested all commercially available natural and “natural” preservation systems and found that none were secure, reliable and safe enough to meet our criteria. For instance Grapefruit seed extract is a known eye irritant at low concentrations (13). We finally chose a combination of natural and synthetically produced preservatives for YES water based to deliver the performance required. Even the synthetically produced ingredients are naturally occurring. If you know of a natural preservation system that works, please let us know (in the 3+ years we have been asking – nobody has suggested an alternative)|
|7.||Grapefruit Seed Extract (also called Citrus seed extract and Citrus grandis). Independent research (FDA) has shown that Grapefruit Seed Extract’s antimicrobial properties are exclusively due to adulterants: undeclared synthetic chemicals; commercially available preservatives and disinfectants such as Methylparaben. Some of which are classified as poisons (14). YES products will never contain Grapefruit Seed Extract.|
|8.||Glycerin (also called Glycerine or Glycerol) is a miracle molecule. Glycerin is an integral part of metabolism for almost all life. It has multiple functions on and in the body and is very beneficial for skin (stratum corneum). But glycerin is an irritant on the mucosa and, for example, this property is used to relieve constipation by irritating the rectum: glycerin suppositories. At low concentrations, (15) glycerin is a nutrient for Thrush, and at higher concentrations it damages the mucus membranes.|
Organic Aloe Vera, a renowned skin food; organic Flax extract which is particularly beneficial for the mucous membranes and three synergistic plant based gums – Guar, Locust Bean and Xanthan, all of which contribute to the deep velvety texture. Food and cosmetic quality preservatives are included and citric acid to buffer the pH.
Must have products
1. FDA Import Alert IA5502, http://www.fda.gov
2. Flax: Ancient Herb and Modern Medicine By William J. Haggerty, Ph.D., HerbalGram, 1999; 45:51-57
3. A consumer’s dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients by Ruth Winter
4. Cosmetics Unmasked, Dr. Stephen & Gina Antczak
5. A consumer’s dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients by Ruth Winter
6. View any MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Glycerol / Glycerine / Glycerin
7. Cosmetic chemicals found in breast tumours, 12 January 2004 http://www.NewScientist.com
8. Environmental Working Group, Skin Deep, Ingredient Report: Propylene glycol, http://www.ewg.org
9. Cosmetics Unmasked, Dr. Stephen & Gina Antczak
10. The herpes prevention and treatment website, http://www.herpes.com
11. Toxic Chemical Ingredients in Cosmetics Directory, http://www.health-report.co.uk/ingredients-directory.htm
12. Environmental Working Group, Skin Deep, Ingredient Report: Petrolatum http://www.ewg.org
13. The website of a company selling Grapefruit seed extract http://www.biochemresearch.com/citricidal.htm
14. Independent research findings: Grapefruit Seed Extract http://www.yesyesyes.org/GSE
15. Preservative free and self preserving Cosmetics and drugs, Kabara & Orth”
International Patent Pending
© The Yes Yes Company Ltd 2011